Selected pieces (with some scores)
Jandl Songs (2007- ) cycle in progress (24 songs so far) for at least 4 voices [ca. 1hr]. Premièred variously in parts: by Exaudi, tonguestuff, members of CoMA. Five songs recorded by Exaudi on HCR06CD. ‘lohengrin’ commissioned for the CoMA Partsong Book.
Assommons les pauvres (2006) SATBx12 [5’]. SPNM commission. Première: BBC Singers/James Morgan (cond), 11-vi-2006, Wilton’s Music Hall, Spitalfields Festival, London. Recorded by the BBC for future broadcast.
I saw these gaps of explanation rolling like wheels contrary within themselves, alien motions on fire with coriolis demeanour (2014) wandering string quartet [15′]. Written for Bozzini Quartet’s Composers Kitchen. Première: Quatuor Bozzini, 17-vi-14, JMC, Montréal; 28-xi-14, hcmf, Huddersfield Town Hall. [LISTEN] [SCORE]
Galileo Quartets (2014-15) 4 pieces for 2 violins, viola and cello
Landscape (with string quartet & passers-by) (2009) installation for string quartet [45’]
Side/Walk/Shuffle (2001) string quartet(s) [7′ or more] [SCORE]. SPNM Shortlist.
reversals in each moment (in progress) piano and violin and cello and
“…when you touch its teeth” (in progress) for Tone-Bursting duo
The Esk nr Middleholms (2012) 2 natural horns with rowboat across water
every.thought.should.recall.the.debris.of.a.smile (2004/to be revised) cl.egtr.vc.pf.vib/per [11’]. Commissioned by hcmf for Apartment House. Première: Apartment House, 24-xi-2004, St Paul’s Hall, Huddersfield.
Trio: Avrupalilastirilamiyanlardanmisiniz? (2003) cello, piano, percussion [8’]. Première: Apartment House, 25-xi-2003, hcmf, Huddersfield. 1st prize Yorkshire Young Composers’ Competition. [LISTEN] [SCORE]
DUET (2002) clarinet & cello and/or 3 percussionists [11’]. SPNM Shortlist.
love of the clear dark (1999) ob.cl.vn.va.pf [8’]. Commissioned by Sheffield Music School. Première: students of Sheffield Music School, 10-xii-99, Bannerdale Centre, Sheffield.
Nocturne (after De Selby) (1999) fl.ob.bcl-hn.tpt.tbn.tba-pf-2vn.vc.cb [3½’] [SCORE]
Movement (1997) flute & cello [6’] [SCORE]
Flexible & non-standard ensembles
No title 3 (2011) 4 or more performers, whirling tubes, whistling, resonant spaces. Première: Ian Baxter, David Devaney, Ross Parfitt and Stephen Chase, 18-vi-2011, Bank St Arts, Sheffield.
No title; this isn’t it either 2 (2010) a number of people in a large public space with megaphones. Première: members & associates of Ensemble Zwischentöne with Otto Beck’s Orchester für Direkte Demokratie, 11-xii-2010, Schloßplatz, Berlin. [FILM]
No title; this isn’t it either (2010) 3 performers with portable feedback devices, monitors and architecture [ca.10′]. Première: Ross Parfitt, Philip Thomas, Stephen Chase, 25-iii-2010, Bank Street Arts, Sheffield. [LISTEN]
ukelelevents (2007-14) 10 pieces for ukuleles &c. Premières: UKALULI & Banjolely – ‘Music We’d Like to Hear’, 1-vii-09, St Anne & St Agnes, London; Ukelelevent #3 for Alison Knowles – Joe Kudirka, Ross Parfitt, Stephen Chase, 21-iv-2010, Bank Street Arts, Sheffield; ukleelele – ‘Quiet You TWO’, 26-v-17, Linda Kemp, Nathan Bettany, Stephen Chase, La Biblioteka, Sheffield. [LISTEN] [SCORES 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10]
Warp & Weft (2007) improvising ensemble. Première: Damo Suzuki & The Gated Community, 15-xi-2007, Bar Abbey, Sheffield. [SCORE]
Vexifications (2004) 3 melody instruments and 1 or more harmony instruments. Première: Students of Sheffield University, 6-vi-07, St John’s Church, Ranmoor, Sheffield.
Feld Music (2003) flexible ensemble. Première: CoMA Yorkshire Ensemble/John Habron (dir.), 12-vii-03, St Thomas’ Church, Huddersfield.
Blurred Visions (1997-98) flexible ensemble (SATB ranges) [7’]. Première: members of CoMA and London Sinfonietta/Simon Foxley (dir.), ‘State-of-the-nation’, 21-ii-98, Purcell Room, London.
A Book of Actions:
- People in Glass Houses (2004) 1 or more performers. Requested by Apartment House for a ‘Rock Concert’. Première: Ross Parfitt and Stephen Chase, 19-v-10, Bank Street Arts, Sheffield. [SCORE]
- Scissors Paper Stone (2004) 2 or more performers. Première: Inlets Ensemble, 26-ix-15, Miami, Florida. [SCORE LISTEN]
- Wet Glasses (2006) 3 or more voices
- Variation on a Theme by John Lely (2008) any instrument(s) (with earphones & soundfiles)
- Ineluctable (2009) text piece. Première: (version for performer and audience) 25-vi-2010, Premier Inn goods entrance, Bank Street, Sheffield. [SCORE]
- Feet. Can’t. Fail. (2009) any performers. [SCORE]
- “This is called ‘The View from the Balcony’, you can download a copy for your own personal use whenever you want” (2010) any instruments/sound sources [SCORE]
- Bas & Busby Fall Out (2011) 2 or more people
- ((schmetterling)) (2011) text piece [SCORE]
- Deerstalker (2011) text piece [SCORE]
- san sukumi ken (2011/13) 2 or 3 people [SCORE]
- Baldessari’s Harmonies (2012) 2-6 performers [24’]
- Baldessari unisons (2013) 2 or more performers [SCORE]
- Close your eyes and sing (2014) 1 or more performers
- can’t say (2016) 1 or more voices: Première: 20-x-16, Bank St Arts, Sheffield.
- Two Flaubert Songs (2016) 2 or more voices [SCORE]
- with noise of spheres metallic and burnished (2016) performers/dark/light/sound/space
- library music (2017) 1 or more people with book(s)
I saw… (2016) violin(s), dark/light, space
music for teeny duchamp (2010- ) toy piano(s) (and/or other small keyboards)
my real-time dappled logic wanted to apologise [INTERIOR LIGHTING] (2010- ) material for guitar [LISTEN]
Noise is kinder (2001) prepared piano [5’] Commissioned by Philip Thomas. Première: 9-ii-2001, Mappin Gallery, Sheffield. [SCORE]
Installation & Theatre
Signatures of all things I am here to read (in progress) person/people in an environment
I am getting on nicely in the dark (2016) for performer with audience of one. For WROUGHT festival, 15-17-iv-2016, Sheffield.
A gate, if not a door (2011-) text-sculpture-sound materials for an installation. Première: contribution to ‘Quadrophonic’ group exhibition with Ian Baxter, David Devaney and Ross Parfitt, 24-v to 18-vi-11, Bank Street Arts, Sheffield.
“…rise and go…” (2010) installation/durational performance. Première: iii to vi-2010, Bank Street Arts, Sheffield.
Combiné 3 [KINO] (2006) actor, instruments, live electronics [12’] SPNM commission. Première: Sound Intermedia, Tim Gill, Clive Williamson, Anthony Shuster, 13-v-2006, LSO St Luke’s, London.
The Bucketrider (2003) devised music theatre (4 actors, cl/bcl, vc, lighting) [7’] Commissioned by SPNM. Première: acting students from Rose Bruford College, F.Cross (cl), M.Atkinson (vc), 21-x-2003, Rose Theatre, Sidcup.